Wednesday, July 26, 2017

Fangirl & Carry On by Rainbow Rowell

I read a lot, but rarely review and I decided it's time to change that. Since I'm new to reviewing, I'd appreciate any and all feedback.

Fangirl
Fangirl has been on my TBR list forever, and I finally picked it up a couple of weeks ago. I usually read fantasy, so I was honestly a little surprised by how much I enjoyed it despite how little seemed to be going on. I loved Cather, and Rowell's portrayal of anxiety was incredibly close to my personal experience, which I really appreciated. I also appreciated the depth that went into the supporting characters, I'd love to have more of them.

Carry On
I picked up Carry On immediately after Fangirl, largely because I wasn't ready to leave Cath's world, and reading her fanfiction seemed like the next best thing. I didn't enjoy it at all. When I read Fangirl, I thought that her fanfiction was basically just Drarry fanfiction with the names changed to avoid a lawsuit, and the entire time reading Carry On, the similarities to Harry Potter drove me crazy. The way it was written also made it feel as if it were the third book in a trilogy, rather than a stand alone novel, and I think that's part of why I didn't feel attached to any of the characters. I found the way the spells work really interesting (it reminded me a bit of the Language in Genevieve Cogman's Invisible Library series) but aside from that, I didn't feel that Carry On had much to offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment